01 02 03 Amanda in Waste-Free Land: A Guide to Waste Free Gift Giving 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

A Guide to Waste Free Gift Giving

34
Gift Ideas: Local Business ReMaterialise, reusable coffee cup, menstrual cup, mesh bag, bamboo toothbrush.
With the holiday season coming up now is the time that we are constantly reminded we should be out shopping. There are a numerous issues with buying presents from the mall, they are expensive, unsustainable, mass produced and malls are stressful, busy places. Don’t get me wrong, I love giving gifts, however I hate shopping and going to malls. I used to find after receiving presents they sat in a pile in my room for a while until I could figure out where they should go. Additionally every time I moved house I realised how much unnecessary stuff I had, gifts were often a huge part of this. I would feel guilty donating something someone had gifted to me. This is why I am huge advocate of gifts that don’t last forever, or gifts I know will be used or appreciated often. I tend to give gifts that I have made myself, they are more personal and thoughtful. Home baked, cooked or fermented gifts are usually well received and devoured. If you do wish to purchase your gifts, second hand shops, Trade Me and local markets and businesses are also great places to find gifts for people who are tricky to buy for or for getting items to revamp. 
 
A Basic Guide to Avoiding Shopping Malls:
Now I realise not everyone has the time, effort, or skill to whip up some home-made gifts… 
 
A Basic Guide to Buying Sustainable Gifts:
Now you may need something to wrap all these goodies in… 
 
A Basic Guide to Waste Free Gift Wrap:
The best thing is the first few ‘gift wraps’ also double as a present!

So please be thoughtful this holiday season, try to avoid unnecessary waste, support local businesses instead and try your hand at discovering new or hidden talents.
I will leave you with a Dr Seuss quote: “It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. Maybe Christmas doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas means a little bit more.”

Labels: , , , , , ,

35 36 37